Thursday, April 18

Many Thanks & How I Photograph My Cards

A little thank you card which measures just 10x8cm....


And a few more....

Supplies: Stamps - Clearly Besotted 'Butterfly Wishes Additions' & 'Leafy Accents' / Tools - Clearly Besotted Dies 'Butterfly Wishes Die Collection' & 'Leafy Accents Die Collection'; Papertrey Ink Impression Plate 'Simple Stripes'

I have received several emails asking how I photograph my cards, which surprises me because I don't think I do it all that well, however, it would be rude not to share so here goes....

I take all my pictures on the breakfast table in the kitchen because it is positioned in front of double patio doors which let in a lot of natural light, this is the key, the more light, the better (for me).

This is my set up (I always take my pictures in the daytime so have no need for special lighting):


1. My Photo Light Tent is inexpensive and from Amazon, I know I am not using it correctly but this works for me.

2. My 'backdrop' is our bread bin (yes, our actual bread bin lol) but I sometimes use a sheet of colour card instead

3. I also place a sheet of colour card underneath the project being photographed.

4. I photograph my cards at an angle instead of straight on, just my preference, so it helps that I always have the fold at the top of my cards.

5. I use an inexpensive Nikon Digital Camera (I don't have the budget for anything fancy!) on the factory settings and I never use the flash, ever.

6. I edit my pictures in Microsoft Office Picture Manager, usually just cropping (not too closely around the card) and adjusting the 'Brightness and Contrast'.

And that's pretty much it, I apologise if you were expecting a masterclass, I would actually welcome any tips you may have for me :)

Thank you for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your day x

27 comments:

Melodie said...

Wow, you have made a wonderful card.
Hugs
Melodie

The Crafty Laydee said...

Beautiful set of cards-i love those leaves :)
Thank you for sharing how you photograph your cards-i have laughed to find someone using a breadbin(as i use two placemats to take mine LOL!)
Nessa xx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Flynn) said...

Gorgeous set of cards Stephanie! Your cards always looks so well photographed and presented so its interesting to see how you do it! Hugs Susan x

Anne said...

Well Stephanie, who would have thought it ... a bread bin lol! Your cards are always photographed so well and of course brilliant inspiration into the bargain. Hugs x

Sue - bearhouse said...

Wonderful thank you cards.
Thank you for sharing your tips on getting good photos, something I struggle with a bit. I think I may experiment with a different backdrop as I always stick to white.
Sue xx

Kavitha Vadhri said...

wow beautiful,thanks for sharing

Stamps and Paper said...

Gorgeous set of cards Steph...what a great way of taking your photos..thanks for sharing

Anne

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Cute little cards Steph, love the colour combo!

Marlou McAlees said...

thanks for sharing tutorial Stephanie :) and i looove your cute cards :) ♥

Marlou McAlees said...

ps .. I need a photo tent .. been on my list for a while .. LOL :)

Tracey said...

Loving these cards!! So very pretty!! xx

Anja (scrappie) said...

Very pretty cards once again and a bread bin how great.

Lin said...

Your card is lovely, and thank you for showing your system for photographing it......I have a similar one, but I like your idea of the woodgrain as a backdrop!

Alanna said...

Lovely cards. I love the touch of green and purple mixed with the Kraft. And thanks for showing us your set up.

Amy Kolling said...

I love to see how others take their card photos! My moto....if it works then it doesn't have to be a lot of money to have the perfect setup! Mine is pretty crude!! Thanks for sharing and fabulous cards Stephanie!!

Colleen said...

Stephanie, great cards...you are so humble...thank you for sharing your whole photo shoot...LOVE it...simple, easy and it works!!

Gibmiss said...

Hi Stephanie
Fabulous cards..... Thanks for your Tut on photo taking
Hugs sylvie xxx

~ Ali Watson ~ said...

Fabby card as always and genius set up love it

Ali x

Neets B said...

Great little card Stephanie, your butterflies and leaves never fail, such lovely designs. Thanks fir sharing your photo process. I struggle with decent light so sometimes use my daylight lamp to assist. Think I need to sort a decent backdrop though, the woodgrain really works with everything :) xx

Rebecca said...

Hi Stephanie, I love that you use your bread bin- how funny! Fab cards- I love the leafy accents and butterfly stamps/dies I use them so much. Rebecca x x x

Sarah said...

A starring role for a humble breadbin :)
Cute cards and thanks for the photo tips.

Louise B said...

Beautiful card and love the colour combo. It's great to see others set up to take photos as you can get some great tips and tricks. Thanks for sharing.

alexandra s.m. said...

I love your card Stephanie and thanks for sharing how you photograph your cards! So fun ;-)

Karen B said...

Great cards again Stephanie and thanks for sharing how you take your photos. I was really interested as I have exactly the same photo light box (from Amazon) but use it "properly" and don't get very good results!!! So, inspired by you I am going to try it your way.......watch this space. Have a great weekend.

Karen x

Michelle said...

Gorgeous cards Stephanie, love the purple with the kraft. Thanks for sharing how you photograph your cards. I struggle with this. Used so many different types of lightboxes, have yours and used it the 'normal' way without good results, tried actual lighting, different backgrounds etc and still not happy. Will have a go with your method! xx

Ann said...

Thanks for sharing your tips Steph - I'm going to try one of those tents but can't get the patio doors so easily ;O) Such pretty cards too!

Tamara King said...

Beautiful cards. And I would never have guessed that you use a bread bin for your backdrop ... very clever!! x